Matcha is a special kind of powdered green tea, traditionally used in the Japanese tea ceremony. Matcha is unique in both appearance and taste compared to other types of green tea.
In this article, I will be sharing with you some very interesting facts about Matcha green tea. If you find this helpful, don’t forget to leave a comment below to share your thoughts and feedback.
So here it goes.
1. Matcha tea is made through a process called shading. This involves covering the tea leaves around twenty days before the harvest. Shading results in the dark green color as well as high caffeine content.
2. 1 teaspoon Matcha contains around 70mg of caffeine which is even more than a shot of espresso!
3. The caffeine in Matcha is called theophylline. Theophylline results in a more sustained release of energy unlike coffee. Hence, with matcha, you wouldn’t feel the caffeine crash (the sudden loss of energy) which happens with coffee!
4. Matcha contains very high amount of antioxidants, around 30% more compared to fruits such as blueberries!
5. It has around ten times more nutrition than a normal cup of green tea.
6. Matcha is made from a tea called Tencha. This tea is stone ground to make Matcha. This is not the same as normal green tea powder.
7. Matcha can be prepared in two ways. Usucha and Koicha. Usucha is the thin version with bubbles and Koicha is the thick version.
8. Matcha made from older tea leaves is sweeter.
9. Matcha has very high amounts of Catechin which is an antioxidant. This is as a result of the process called Shading which is used to make Matcha as well as another type of Japanese tea called Gyokuro.
10. Matcha is expensive compared to other types of green tea because of how it’s produced. The covering of the plants called the Shading process results in increased cost of production and hence we pay more for Matcha. So next time you think Matcha is expensive, remember that a lot of time, money and effort goes into creating the perfect Matcha for you.
11. Matcha green tea powder can be used in a multitude of recipes such as smoothies, cookies, pancakes, mousse cakes, lattes, ice creams and so on.
Hope you found this helpful!